- Coordinates radio communications between ambulances and receiving hospitals*
- Coordinates emergency medical consultation services for all hospitals and ambulance services in the region**
- Conducts routine communications checks and system tests with all other system participants
- Participates in public health disease surveillance programs
- Monitors status of hospitals throughout the region
- Receives scene reports and staging area information from the Incident Commander or local dispatch center; coordinates ambulance response within the region
- Notifies hospitals in accordance with anticipated system demands
- Allocates patients among the hospitals
- Monitors hospital status
- Identifies hospital and ambulance service needs; communicates this information to TEMA
- Maintains direct communication with other RMCCs
- Performs these functions in support of local, regional and state exercises and drills.
* This function is necessary to prevent confliction of radio transmissions by several ambulances attempting to talk to one or more hospitals at the same time.
** This is a service provided to Paramedics and hospitals where consultation for critical patients is requested. It does not usurp or replace local hospital medical control of ambulances.